Thursday, May 17, 2007

Potato Cauliflower Curry


The boys had friends over today for the regular gaming session. Normally I try to feed the crowd something relatively nutritious and am always grateful for whatever snacks other parents bring. Today I was completely uninspired and had nothing better to offer than baked potatoes when I remembered a head of cauliflower in the fridge. Just like that I began dreaming about some kind of aloo gobi, potato and cauliflower curry. I went straight to the ever reliable Madhur Jaffrey and was not disappointed.

I filled the rice cooker with basmati rice along with cinnamon sticks and crushed cardamom pods to flavor the cooking water and then on to the curry. I cut some peeled potatoes into chunks and fried them until golden, likewise an entire head of cauliflower which had been broken into small florets. Once they were nice and brown, I removed them from the oil and then quickly fried a good pile of minced fresh ginger. Back in the pan with the potatoes and cauliflower along with a few basic curry spices: ground cumin, coriander and cayenne. After adding a bit of water and simmering until the potatoes were tender, we had a lovely meal to enjoy in the May sunshine. The picky kids eating baked potatoes had no idea what they were missing!

I fiddled with the recipe just slightly, adding extra water and upping the spices accordingly in order to make a slightly saucier dish than the original. It was a snap to make and quite delicious. Give it a try. The recipe is here.

4 comments:

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

That recipe looks great! I am not always confident about using spices rather than herbs, but you make it sound simple! I am noting it down!

•L¥ÇÅN• said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the recipe! I can't wait to try it myself.

The deleted comment was mine--I need to make sure my daughter isn't logged in when I comment!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Hi there again, just to let you know that I have linked to your recipe for Potato Cauliflower Curry (yum yum). It is Vegetarian Week here in the UK and it seemed like a great addition to my post about have muh good veggie food there is about! Hope you don't mind